In case you enjoy consuming cereals often, you must know that they contain high amounts of preservatives, refined carbohydrates artificial colors and hidden sugar.
So instead of cereals make a bowl of oatmeal which is a healthier alternative.
Oatmeal is considered to be the healthiest breakfast choices for you. They are full in vitamins, antioxidants, and minerals, and are also the only wellspring of avenanthramides, which are antioxidants that have powerful heart-boosting properties.
Just one portion of raw oats that is 30g has about 117 calories, and also has 11% fiber, 17% protein, 7% fat, and 66% carbohydrates. These are the benefits of consuming oatmeal:
Oats have 3 types of starch
- Quickly digested starch – 7% -- that is dissolved very fast and transformed in glucose
- Slowly digested starch – 22% -- that is dissolved slowly and absorbed
- Resistant starch – 25% -- that is digested in different way and can improve digestion and feeds the good bacteria
Protein also leads to satiety and builds and keeps the muscle. Oats are full in protein with high quality, having avenalin -80% protein as a main protein, and it is quite similar to the legumes’ protein. It also contains a lot of avenin which is the minor protein like gluten in wheat.
Oats contain carbs that are highly beneficial because they contain the fiber intact and it is released slowly inside the blood.
These carbohydrates are 85% starch and 11% are fiber, and this is quite distinctive compared to the other starches in the grains. They also have high amounts of viscosity and fat that makes them to bind with water easily.
Both insoluble and soluble fiber are contained in oats, but the have the highest amount of beta-glucan a soluble fiber. This provides numerous medical advantages, reduces the levels of cholesterol and also the levels of insulin and blood sugar, as well as it stimulates the excretion of bile acids.
The danger of heart disease can be reduced by consuming beta-glucans on regular basis. It has the effect to slow digestion and also reduces appetite and causes a feeling of satiety.
Oats are richer in unsaturated fatty acids and also contain a lot of fat.
Here are some things that you need to know about consuming and buying oatmeal
- Do not consume huge portions of oats as they are rich in sugar. Smaller quantities can also provide a feeling of satiety.
- In case you are sensitive to gluten, you must pay attention to the label, and pick the oatmeal that is processed in a facility without gluten.
- You shouldn’t consume processed and instant oatmeal because it contains a lot of artificial flavorings and sugar and they can lead to blood sugar spikes. Consume rolled or steep cut oats which can regulate the release of glucose in the blood.
- Include toppings that are full with nutrients such as nut butter, maple syrup, fresh fruits, seeds, dried coconut, honey, and nuts and on the other hand do not consume sugary topping like raisins or dried cranberries.
In the end, bon appetite and get all the amazing benefits from a bowl of oatmeal.