Since we are still in the cold winter season where colds and flu are a common thing, it would be wise to take a look at this soup that offers a relief from them and can prevent from them as well. Because of the cold temperatures and us breathing the cold air which contains a lot of spreading germs, a lot of us are feeling a little bit down like something is missing. Some of us are having a sore throat, and some of us only have a runny nose and snuff. And mostly these symptoms are not enough for us to take a day off or not be able to do our job, but they are still very unpleasant and painful symptoms. Instead of suffering from them every day, give this ancient soup a try, it will relieve from the symptoms and boost your immune system very much.
Health Benefits of Garlic
The garlic’s active compound is called allicin, and it is famous for its powerful antiviral, antioxidant, anti-fungal and anti-microbial properties. It has a huge effect on our body, it supports our digestive system, boosts our immunity, improves our circulation, and lowers our blood pressure. If you don’t like to add garlic into your dishes and meals, try some natural garlic supplements, the best are from Nature’s Bounty and they are worth trying.
The garlic is capable to:
- treat a sore throat
- help us gain weight
- reduce inflamation
- expel parasites
- regulate levels of blood sugar
- diminish plaque from our arteries
- fight against allergies
- soothe upper respiratory tract infections
- regulate high blood pressure
The garlic is the richest source of nutrients that have abilities to fight against flu and cold symptoms. Researches have done a placebo-controlled, double-blind, 12-week study, in which they tested the potential of the allicin powder against the cold symptoms. According to the results, the allicin managed to reduce the symptoms by an amazing 50%.
Health Benefits of Ginger
For many centuries the ginger has been used to treat digestive issues, fevers, colds and many other health problems and diseases. Also it contains powerful anti-inflammatory properties, which give it the ability to soothe arthritis. Many studies have proven that the ginger is effective in the treatment of vomiting and nausea. Also there are other studies done on ginger, in which it was proven that it’s able to treat flu and cold symptoms very effectively due to its strong anti-fungal, antimicrobial and antioxidant properties.
Flu-Fighting Garlic and Ginger Soup
In this recipe there is a combination of the two most powerful superfoods, the soup effectively treats symptoms caused from sinus infections, colds and flu.
- Medium-hot Chili pepper, finely diced
- 7 cups of chicken stock or broth (for vegans, vegetable stock)
- 2 garlic loves, peeled well and finely diced
- 50 grams of grated ginger root
- 4 finely diced onions
- Put the ginger, garlic and onions in a larger pot, and gently saute them on a low heat for a few minutes.
- Then you may add the broth or the stock and boil the soup.
- After that, simmer the soup until all ingredients become soft.
- Then add the chili pepper and you can simmer it for 5 more minutes, and you can then serve it while it is still warm. Serve it with crusty bread.
- You can add some carrots or butternut squash to the soup to make the soup heartier. Let them simmer until they become soft, then you can serve the soup.
- If you don’t like spicy ingredients, replace the chili pepper with a sprinkle of cinnamon, it will also provide wonderful health benefits.
- If you want to get the benefits of the soup, but still make it a full meal you can add some cubed organic chicken cutlets, chopped broccoli and a few mushrooms sliced. If you are a vegan then you can add beans instead of the chicken cutlets. Also boost the soup with a little bit of quinoa or wild rice, or you can put them individually, and there you have a flu and cold fighting soup as a full meal.